If you would like to discover the mountains where bandits used to hide, if you want to soak up the lifestyle of traditional villages and enjoy their rich gastronomy, then this fabulous tour is just what you’re looking for.
Three days that start in Vic, a historical town known for its large market square and numerous churches and convents in the old quarter. It’s not surprising that back in the 16th century our accommodation started out as an old cloistered convent that has since been converted into a comfortable hotel. From here you’ll ride along the mythic Bracons road and explore the beautiful Vall d’en Bas; you’ll enjoy the impressive views of Collsacabra, you’ll feel experience emotions on the high mountains of the Montseny massif and you’ll relax among the meadows of El Lluçanès.
A tour for people who love real experiences, designed to show you the secret hidden spots of inland Catalonia.
Arrival and transfer.
DAY 2 | STAGE 1 108km | +1,827m
We’ll set off on the quiet roads of the Vic Plain, heading in a northerly direction. Far away on the horizon you’ll be able to see the infinite Pyrenees mountain range, although closer to us there will be a first wall of mountains showing the silhouette of the Puigsacalm and the cliffs of Collsacabra, today’s objectives.
The first mountain pass of the day, Coll de Bracons, will lead us to Puigsacalm, in the range that separates the districts of Osona and La Garrotxa. Our minds will be filled by the beauty and toughness of the climb until we reach the top, where we will be rewarded by the wonderful views of the Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park. We’ll suddenly find ourselves within a rural postcard, in the little village of Els Hostalets d’en Bas, where we can sit at a table surrounded by volcanoes, calmly enjoying the scenery while tasting the delicious cured meats produced in the area.
On the way back we’ll go uphill towards Coll de Condreu, which will take us to Rupit and Tavertet, two true gems hidden among the impressive Collsacabra mountain range. Before we leave the mediaeval village of Rupit, we can’t miss visiting its spectacular suspension bridge and among the crags of the picturesque village of Tavertet we’ll be able to enjoy the magnificent views of Catalonia’s most hidden spots before descending again to Vic.
DAY 3 | STAGE 2 91km | +1,904m
We will spend the day riding around the Montseny Natural Park, the quintessential cycling territory of the region of Barcelona. Our route will allow us to discover the most typical roads and landscapes of the Volta a Catalunya, while we complete the tour of the peaks of Turó de l’Home and Matagalls.
We’ll start off by warming up our legs on Coll de Mansa, which will take us near Viladrau, lying at the foot of the natural park and the birthplace of the most famous Catalan bandit, Serrallonga. We’ll leave the village behind and after riding next to the chestnut and beech tree forests where this infamous bandit used to carry out his robberies, we’ll climb to Santa Fe del Montseny on one of the loveliest cycling ascents in Catalonia.
We’ll descend through a leafy beech tree forest until we reach the junction where we’ll take the road that goes to the top of Coll de Santa Helena with its fantastic views of the city of Barcelona. Here the bravest cyclists can tackle the really tough final kilometres that lead to the summit of Turó de l’Home. Standing at a height of 1,705 metres above sea level, it is the highest point of the natural park.
We’ll finish the stage with two long descents, interrupted by the legendary climb to Collformic, lying at the foot of the famous peak of Matagalls and the gateway to the region of Vic, our host town.
DAY 4 | STAGE 3 83km | +1,523m
On our last day, we’ll pedal in a northwestly direction to visit the high plateau of El Lluçanès, a region full of peaceful roads that are perfect for cycling and visiting its small country villages.
We’ll begin the route pedalling among the farms and pastureland of the Vic Plain. At the foot of the emblematic sanctuary of La Gleva, we’ll start climbing up the winding road that leads to the mythic Alt de La Trona, the setting for historical car rallies and exciting bicycle race stages.
Recuperando el aliento nos adentraremos en Perafita, donde el aroma a coca —torta dulce tradicional de Catalunya— que desprende un antiguo obrador de la plaza del pueblo nos llamará a un descanso.
Before starting the last climb of the day, in this case to Fontfreda, we’ll visit the small village of Oristà where Perot Rocaguinarda, another popular legendary bandit, was born in 1582.
When we’re a few kilometres from Vic, we can’t miss the opportunity to stop in Santa Eulàlia de Riuprimer. Here we’ll be able to enjoy the best gastronomy of the area in a mythic restaurant where all the cyclists in the region like to meet up. Its exquisite dishes will be the best way to end this amazing tour.
Transfer and departure
- Explore Barcelona's hidden secrets with our local guides
- Ride through the stunning Montseny Natural Park; a UNESCO designated biosphere
- Ride to the ancient town of Vic, main city inland Catalonia
- Discover the spectacular cliffs of Tavertet and the impressive suspension bridge of Rupit
- Climb the most emblematic ascents in Barcelona region: Alt de Santa Fe, La Trona & Bracons
- Enjoy a private cycling experience including guiding services by local cyclists and luxury accomodation
- Ride across the Volcanic Natural Park in La Garrotxa and be amazed by its landscapes
- Accommodation in selected hotels in double occupancy room with half-board.
- Transfer of travellers as soon as they arrive to our country to their destination.
- Execution of the tour by certified and multilingual bike tour guides specialised in tourism.
- Visits to tourist attractions and tourist advice during the rides.
- Supply of solid and liquid provisions during the tour.
- Daily transport of luggage.
- Mechanical service (doesn’t include replacement components of privately-owned bicyles).
- Health insurance.
- Tourist tax.
- Routes accessed via mobile app.
- Trip PhotoBook.
- Support vehicle and roadside assistance and lunch on the road (Groups of 6 or more).
- OPTIONAL: High-end rental bikes
- OPTIONAL: Single room
- OPTIONAL: Additional nights
- OPTIONAL: Activities and additional visits.